Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sweet Cape Vibes



For Halloween this year part of my costume included a long black cape, (OK so I glued a picture of Oprah to a paper plate to make my mask and went as 'Phantom of the Oprah' but that's another story). I was commenting to some of my friends how much fun wearing a cape was, how it flowed behind me when I walked, how it made me feel young again and I wondered why we don't wear them anymore. My long time friend Tash pointed out that according to Edna, from the movie The Incredibles, capes are hazardous to superheros; getting sucked into jet engines, snagged on rockets, pulled into a vortex of wind... you know, the usual superhero stuff! Yes, Edna does have a very valid point but there are more dynamics to wearing capes than that... there are a variety of capes and each have a certain Vibe to them that influence not only what others think about you but how you feel about yourself!

For Example:



Feeling a little Fangy? Here's a cape guaranteed to make almost anyone's blood run hot.  You are rockin it Christopher Lee... eat your heart out Edward of Twilight, you glittery bastard!








Hey, Green is the new… Green!

And for those times where you need an accessory that says "And your little dog too!" You know, that accent piece that just begs someone to comment on the broom you rode in on or your  choice of make up color... yeah bitch, I dare you to comment.  Do it. 







 
 
For those special occasions there's even a cape that will make people sit up and take notice! Oh yes they will.

Who looks Fabulous? You do Darling!






But when I think of wearing a cape it's this level of coolness that comes to mind... bad-ass Jedi Warriors; they sure as hell don't have a problem fighting evil with their capes on, hell they even have a hoodie attached!





 Oh Yeah, an Elf with bitchin threads and his bow and arrow… you wanna make fun of his pointy ears and long blond hair?  I didn't think so.


Even kings wear capes … although I'd have chosen a different necklace for that outfit but whatever; I guess when your girlfriend gives you bling you damn well better wear it! (Especially when her cousin is an Elf with a bow and arrow…  Aragorn seems resigned to the emasculating wardrobe malfunction but vows to overcompensate by wearing lots of testosterone-laden leather and armor, with feathers,  for his horse. Rowr!)








Check out this cape!  Only Super Girl could pull this look off. Wait, what do you mean you don't see a cape. It's right there.  It's red...On her shoulder.  No, up higher; yeah, that shoulder.









It's a Light Saber Batman & No,
I'm not happy to see you.
But The Best caped role models, for me, would have to be Batman and Darth Vader… just look at the way their capes flow as they walk, emanating power and kick-ass-ness! Now That's how to wear a Cape! They own wearing a cape with such confidence you naturally surrender to their superior intellect and attitude because their cool factor is above all others. No one could possibly rock a better cape-tude than these guys! 







Well, at least until you see these capes… it's hard to compete with sequins, Right?











1 comment:

  1. It obviously helps when the bad-ass cape wearer is wearing all black.

    That's it. I'm off to find a cape. But mine will make me invisible when I twirl it around my body. HA! Top that!

    ReplyDelete